Welcome to Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

You're all in a bar when . . .

Episode 00

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
"Not vith de broken arms, no," Natalya grinned, tipping her seat backward. "If he is havingk no arms, I am havingk all de works, da! Dis make it boringk too soon."

She thumped forward, setting the seat on all for legs. Her demeanor changed again, so suddenly she seemed to be suffering the galaxy's most rapid case of bipolar mania. "Joiningk the private armies is no different than joiningk the regular vons, tovarich,: she told Mack. "Sometime, the pay, she is good. Sometime the equipments are also beingk good. Sometime not so good. CCS has the good pay andt the not so good equipments. Almost never, the people you are shootingk at, do they deserve to die. And you kill them anyway."

She smirked. The serious affect evaporated replaced with her usual accent, "But dis is beingk too serious. De day not beingk old, and I still hope to be seeing if dere is being any neat toys at dis pup andt pony show!"

schanze

schanze

Webmaster

• Administrators
  • 555 posts
  • LocationWashington
Kes flipped through some of the images and stored the rest for later. The pink storm that followed was dazzling but expected. She refused to show any visible reaction.

"Tes, ah." Kes cleared her throat. "Quola tells me that you were in special ops with her during the war."

One of the holographic kittens sat on the table in front of Kes and started to purr.

I'm going to kill you.

CrazyDreamer

CrazyDreamer

CCS Associate GM for Non-Combat

• Game Masters
  • 1344 posts
  • LocationChicagoland, IL, USA
Olga checked the message pad a bit more openly this time.

He's the Boss Man, Boss Lady. Problem Child. Voluntarily stepped into the ring with me once.

She pointed vigorously at the words "PROBLEM CHILD" in big letters across the back of her jacket.

schanze

schanze

Webmaster

• Administrators
  • 555 posts
  • LocationWashington
Kes gave Olga a sidelong glance.

How'd he do?

CrazyDreamer

CrazyDreamer

• Game Masters
  • 1344 posts
Lost, of course, so I got to keep my booze. We had a drink together afterwards.

Coolhand

Coolhand

Coolhand and Breaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSydney Aus
Quola seemed to zone out for a few seconds before coming back to reality. Next time Olga were to look at her pad she would see a small pink kitten sitting in one corner of the screen. She chuckled under her breath and addressed Tommy.

"Momma wants to know how long you want your scarf."

Abaddon

Abaddon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Tommy shook his head politely at Kes' question, "No problems with my currant lead at all. I'm just looking for a chance to spend more time with my wife. We've been married since our time in the Forces and still haven't quite gotten to spend all that much time together."

He took a long sip from his drink, finished it, and waved the waitress over for another.

There seemed to be a pause in the conversation for a few moments, why that was he couldn't be sure. Quola broke the silence with a quick sentence in Zentran that caused him to raise an eyebrow even though he was not sure of the meaning of the words.

"Quola tells me that you were in special ops with her during the war."

When did she tell her that? He worked to keep his confusion from showing.

"That would be correct, I was in the UNSMC and served in the special forces. Particularly of note was the time I spent serving with Quola during the opening months of the war." He paused to take a sip of newly refilled drink. "I also served as a VB squadron commander, which is where I met Olga and my wife. I must admit though, I'm not the world's best VF pilot, though I am qualified as one. Stick a rifle or SMG in my hands and it's a completely different story."

"If you would like me to go through my service career with you I would be pleased to do so. The highlights are still classified," he was unable to suppress a small tremor in his left hand as he spoke, "however most of what I have done is public record now. My active VF/VB time came to a close over Eden where I lost my eye and very nearly my wife. From there I spent some time with Special Forces Command as a tactical officer, UNSMC HQ as an adjutant, and ended my career on Eden, first as a liaison officer and finally as the commanding officer of the 14th Support Battalion. After that....well I was a concert pianist."

Kes seemed to zone out for a second so Tommy paused, taking yet another sip of his drink.

"Momma wants to know how long you want your scarf?

Unable to contain himself Tommy let out a laugh and responded," Long enough to double as a field blanket would be nice."

jester

jester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
Mack chuckled at the pay, "Better pay means better toys and better beer, so it has some importance."

Setting his chair's front legs back down, "At least, I'm back amongst professionals who know how to work hard and play hard."

Vertigo

Vertigo

• Game Masters
  • 275 posts
Eric smiled at Mack's comment. "You have NO clue, bucko."

He took a swig from the beer mug that had just been delivered and let it drain slowly. "Pay isn't everything, though it helps with the time in between. Better to have it than not." He took another drink and smirked. "Toys... are always fun. Company... better."

schanze

schanze

Webmaster

• Administrators
  • 555 posts
  • LocationWashington
Kes shot a glance at Quola. "I was going to tell him."

She turned back to Tommy, embarrassed. "Tes... ah, I should explain. Some of the unit members are fitted with enhancements. It's a new push from corporate. Quola and Olga told me about you while we talked."

Her hands went up in mock defense. "All good things. I figured with your..." Kes indicated to her amber eye. "I thought you were already outfitted."

There was an awkward pause as Kes emptied the last of her drink. She flagged the waitress for another.

"Anyway. Your skillset is what we need. We're mixed action: planetside and aerospace. Equipment is stock other than your own stuff. A second."

Kes' eyes seemed to dart between a few things directly in front of Tommy. A minute later she refocused on him and smiled.

"A transfer takes a couple of weeks. Normally. Corporate's been pushy and... you sound good so..." She shrugged. "You're in. We'll get the other details later."

She rose to shake his hand. "Hope you like scarves."

Abaddon

Abaddon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Tommy downed his second drink as Kes explained the enhancements to him.

When she indicated to her eye he nodded in understanding, "Ah, I see what you're saying. No my eye isn't nearly as modern as that. I have a couple of things built in, night-vision, basic text functionality....but on the whole the Corps wasn't overly interested in outfitting me with top of the line anything."

He paused and absently stroked the right side of his face with a gloved hand, "I'm not overly fond of being under the knife but I may upgrade the eye one day, don't make a lot on a pension and pianist's pay."

He waited patiently while Kes seemed to review some things only she could see.

"You're in. We'll get the other details later."

Standing with her, he firmly grasped her offered hand with his. "I love scarves...though if Momma had her way we'd all be wearing pink fluffy outfits."

Looking down at the still seated Quola he gently placed his left hand on her shoulder and whispered, "Thank you.

CrazyDreamer

CrazyDreamer

• Game Masters
  • 1344 posts
Olga glanced down at her messenger pad, then decided to ignore the kitten. She had a sari-C implant, but she wasn't stupid enough to leave THAT line open with Quola in the room. Also, she was better with physical keyboards than virtual ones, particularly if there was a chance of getting drunk in there somewhere.

Also, it was very embarrassing to try to eat a kitten only to discover that it wasn't real.

She looked over her shoulder at the conversation she'd been listening to with her surprisingly acute hearing. "Velcome back, Piano Boss Man!"

Rivel

Rivel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Nick sidled into the bar, looking left and right and taking it all in. It was a veritable rogues gallery of people from his semi-recent past. There was Olga, still doing her best to defy the expectations of strangers (and thereby confirming the expectations of those who knew her), Tommy (looking a little the worse for wear), a woman that Nick wanted to say he vaguely recognized from somewhere, and, hey, Quola.

Another chance to know not-quite strangers, another chance to maybe get to know some people. And maybe not get assassinated in his bedroom.

Coolhand

Coolhand

Coolhand and Breaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSydney Aus
Scant minutes after Nick had walked in Dwer also entered the bar. He had changed his clothes on the journey over from the booth, he was now wearing more casual attire in the form of jeans, black shirt and a leather jacket made from a leather of an animal native to his home-world festooned with various squadron badges. He looked tired, not from over-exertion but from the sheer mind numbingness of working the corporate booth for six hours. He took a few strides into the establishment before raising his voice.

"Two more for the CCS booth! Don't keep the old man waiting!" Several heads turned his way, some obviously annoyed at the disturbance others merely confused. Several people looked longer than others, apparently recognising his face, likely colonial pilots now working for one PMC or another.

Heading for the bar he ordered a straight whiskey, he badly needed a drink, afterwards he'd find somebody to be social with.

Coolhand

Coolhand

Coolhand and Breaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSydney Aus
((OOC:- Double posting because two characters. If you'd rather i combine it with my previous post just yell.))

Quola smiled up at Tommy and gave the hand a squeeze with her own.

"Welcome back." she said warmly.

Quola's attention was suddenly drawn to the front of the bar as Dwer made the call for new booth bunnies. Information on the pilot flooded her vision as she acquainted herself with the pilots service history, annoyingly he had no implant of his own for her to tap into. She spoke aloud as she processed the information.

"Dwer Koolhan age 28, born Helios colony. Served in Skull squadron...." a chagrined look crossed her face. "Rest is classified, how frustrating." Quola looked pouty for a few seconds before she caught sight of the other new entrant. "Excuse me." she said, colour returning to her voice.

Next thing Nick Rivel saw as a mess of teal green hair at face level as Quola gave him a friendly hug. Pulling back she gave him a giant grin.

"So now we have the whole crew back. How have you been?"

Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
Natalya grinned at Dwer's announcement. "And on cue, as vell," she laughed.

She glanced around the distributed CSS gaggle with a critical eye. "So," she said, "Who is vantingk to be goingk vith me?"

Rivel

Rivel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Having an armful of green-haired fighting machine was the best thing that had happened to Nick in a month. He was a bit surprised at the enthusiasm of the greeting, but he warmed to it quickly. He released the hug as she did.

Nick was still wearing his nice suit, which made him stand out in the bar, but he continued to wear it well. It looked calmer, more confident, more... present.

"Up and down, you know? Literally. Been travelling, picking up odd jobs on the colonies," he scratched the back of his neck, "bouncing, longshoring. Always work for spacers. Had a lousy breakup last month and was particularly out of it when Alexi contacted me out of the blue. He made some promises, I made some deals, and here I am."

He smiled and looked her over, pointy ears, cargo pants, vest and all. He considered, not for the first time, his own rounded human ears. If you saw him, Quola, and her friend from a distance, one could be forgiven for thinking it was a gaggle of Zentrans and Meltrans, what with the pink, green, and white hair in attendance.

"You look great. What have you been doing all this time?"

Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
Natalya took a last, hard look at the vodka. It really wasn't bad, as far as vodka went. Not bad just wasn't good enough.

She pushed the glass away and stood. "Let it not be said dat I am unvillingk to sacrifce vent duty is callingk," she declared.

She walked out with another word.

CrazyDreamer

CrazyDreamer

• Game Masters
  • 1344 posts
A message from Alexi flickered to life in front of Kes:

I know you were just here a little while ago, but could you grab, say, Fong and Swee and drag them over here in person? I need two booth monkeys plus someone senior here while I take a quick break myself.

schanze

schanze

Webmaster

• Administrators
  • 555 posts
  • LocationWashington
We'll be there in five minutes.

Kes downed the rest of her drink and stood.

"I'd stick around but the booth calls. Sorry. Tommy, go ahead and meet us when you're done. No rush."

As if on cue a new drink was deposited in front of him. Kes smiled.

"My treat."

She stepped away from the table and scanned the room.

"Mack, Rod." Kes pointed at both and indicated the door with her thumb.

She met the two pilots at the bar entrance. "Common. Alexi needs booth replacements."

A new message popped up in Quola's queue.

«Alexi needs a pee break. Let me know if anything happens?»

OOC: Mack, Rod: Post your exits and move over to the other thread.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Episode 00

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users