Welcome to Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Macross Quarter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts

I've known for some time, because of my obsessive reading of reference material, that Macross Quarter "boasts the of mobility and combat performance of a fighter even though it is the size of mid-scale warship."

I can't stop thinking about what that implies about it. Obviously, from the show, it does have the mobility of a cutting edge fighter. But I don't think, just based on what we see in the show, that it would be terribly out matched by a VF-1 in performance terms.

Now, imagine that dogfight.

Vertigo

Vertigo

• Game Masters
  • 275 posts

Seems roughly analogous to the Defiant from Star Trek: DS9.

I still don't see her outperforming a VF-17, -171, -19, -22, -24, -25, or -27, or really even some of the higher end production models of the VF-11.  And while the bridge crew might be prepared for some sharp maneuvers I don't think the gunners or the flight crew would appreciate it too much.  Unless they have some REALLY good inertial compensators in every compartment.  I dunno, does a Quarter-class (or any ship class, for that matter) have the equivalent of the ICS?

She does seem to typify the terms gunboat and pocket warship very well.

Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
It's not that Quarter can out perform a modern fighter.

Think about what a VF-1 can do. Now imagine 400+ meters of warship doing just half that much.

To give and idea of how wild it is--and mind that what it's shown doing on tv and on movies backs this up--put Quarter head to head with an F-14 in atmosphere. It would win.

I think it is a mistake to suggest that the crew stations aboard the ship could not hack it. There's no reason to think that the stand up supports for the front bridge station are the only such acceleration accommodation on the ship.

Another good point, I think Quarter is shown stowing ARMD-L at least once. Watch how fast it moves, then consider what that would feel like to crew inside the carrier!

I'm not even suggesting greater performance than we were shown. I am suggesting that it's profitable to take a second look at what Quarter is shown doing, and recognize how insanely fast it is.

Quarter's transformation performance is comparable to the Koenig Monster, which might not feel super impressive until you realize Quarter carries a Monster inside it. Quarter is larger than a super carrier

Interestingly, Quarter is not the first ship to carry the "performance of a fighter" badge. That honor goes to the Meltrandi gun boat.

Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
Also, worth noting: my original post should have read "doesn't have the mobility of a modern fighter."

There's an excellent scene in movie 2 that clearly shows several Messiahs running rings around it while it is going full bore.

Coolhand

Coolhand

Coolhand and Breaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSydney Aus

So it would be comparable to building an aircraft carrier that has performance characteristics of a Patrol Boat, but is still out maneuvered by a speed/race boat?

Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
Perhaps. I might say more akin to a carrier with the performance of a speed boat.

I would compare the current generation of valkyries to speed boats with the performance of top fuel racing boats and the agility of jet skis, while I would say Quarter has the performance and agility of a speed boat.

In this analogy, that is. At a rough guess I would think it reasonable to say Quarter's agility is comparable to an F-14 or F-15, though it's thrust to weigh ratio is probably far better than any existing aircraft. The stealth frigate can pull something near 2 g of acceleration, and one would assume Quarter can do better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users