Welcome to Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Deliveries

Episode 03

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

CrazyDreamer

CrazyDreamer

CCS Associate GM for Non-Combat

• Game Masters
  • 1344 posts
  • LocationChicagoland, IL, USA

Something resembling a wardrobe trunk on wheels was delivered to the Damask Rose, wheeled into the lounge, and plugged into one wall. Inside proved to be a compact drum machine, synthesizer, an electric guitar and an electric bass with minimal bodies, two microphones, a basic mixer with a few effects, and an amp.

Olga blinked, considered it, and decided test the equipment by turning the amp all the way up and slurring her way through "A Lusty Young Smith" with a drink in one hand.

"Vith a jingle bang, jingle bang, jingle bang, jingle
Vith a jingle bang, jingle bang, jingle hi-ho!"

Rivel

Rivel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

"All of this nice equipment, and that's what you go with?" Nick asked, walking in and appearing to check if his ears still worked with the palm of one hand.

"C'mon, at least give us a little rock and roll, eh?  Also, a drink!" he declared, although he already looked slightly tipsy.  "This day has been weird, and may become moreso."

CrazyDreamer

CrazyDreamer

• Game Masters
  • 1344 posts

Olga passed a flask of Jägermeister to Nick before trying to figure out if she could hook the mixer into the ship's sound system rather than the pocket amp. The lounge's A/V system was normally tuned to a round-the-clock news station—the spread of humanity throughout the galaxy had finally resulted in enough news to properly fill the time—and she was proving to have a hard time figuring out how to switch the inputs in her tipsy state. Meanwhile, the reporter droned on:

The CLA announced earlier today that it had seized another shipment of what it styled as "black-market weapons" from Marshall-4. However, the Marshall government has no weapons restrictions or bans, calling the "black-market" designation into question. The seized shipment was being transported on a Megaira-registered ship, and coordinated diplomatic protests accusing the New Kara government of violating colonial sovereignty have been issued by the governments of Marshall, Megaira, and Megaira's close allies Alekto and Tisiphone.

The New Kara government responded in a press conference by stating that the ship was docked for refueling at a space station maintained by the New Kara government, putting it within New Kara jurisdiction and making it searchable for contraband and cargo posing a danger to the station. They further claimed that New Kara had a moral duty to restrict belligerent colonies' access to weapons, referring to a number of aggressive moved made by Alekto over the past year.

During the exchange of press conferences, Tisiphone's Foreign Minister also repeated the claim that the CLA itself was originally a client of Marshall's weapons programs when the CLA was a rebel group and Marshall's programs were considered illegal by the UNG, making the seizure hypocritical. The CLA again denied that this had ever been the case.

Equity shares in the privately-listed Gateway Investors Alliance, generally seen as a proxy for confidence in the Marshall government, dropped 2.4% in the hours following the announcement.

Olga thankfully managed to get the system switched over to playing their music over the lounge speakers before the stock report began. Less helpfully, she decided to sing if she could remember the words to "Dynamite Explosion."

She couldn't, but she started singing it anyway.

Rivel

Rivel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Nick accepted the proffered shot gratefully, although nearly choked on it when he saw the news report.

He hacked and coughed a while, holding the shot above head level and taking care not to spill it while he cleared his lungs.

"I swear, today I am haunted!" he said, and downed it in one go.

Nick didn't remember the words, either, but did his best to make up for it in enthusiasm.  He did remember the tune, and beat out the rhythm on the drum machine.  He had a decent voice, although it was completely untrained.

"You think we're going to get involved with that Marshal 4 business?"

Coolhand

Coolhand

Coolhand and Breaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSydney Aus

She had been inspecting the surprise hot pink with kitten decal paintjob the crew had given her Rea and was passing by the lounge when she heard singing, albeit bad singing but singing nonetheless. What’s more they were singing one of her favourites.

Quola managed to join in on the second half of the song, her voice clear and her tone perfect. More importantly she knew the lyrics, in three spoken languages and countless computer ones.

She had noticed Nick’s behaviour, she’d seen him act this way only a few times but it was never a good thing when he did. She went and knelt by the amp under the pretence of fiddling with sound levels and input selectors, but really she just wanted to check in with her friend.

“You look like hell Chief” she said warmly, though softly enough to try to be discreet “What’s haunting you?”

Dwer had been sitting with his feet up in a corner of the lounge, not really bothered by the quality of entertainment. It was part of life around Olga and he’d long since re-adjusted to it, it was even comforting in a way. He’d paid special attention to the news report and chipped in when Nick raised his question.

“This isn’t the first time the CLA have done something like this. They have something of a god complex when it comes to other colonies, always trying to ‘govern’ the actions of what they think to be lesser nations.” The disdain in his voice was palpable.

“There were some nasty rumours flying around about Marshall back home before I left though. Something about them supplying rogue Zent groups. Helios is far enough away that I can’t really say much to the truth of the rumours though, they didn’t really affect us much.”

Rivel

Rivel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Oh, two pleasant voices joined the room, which made it a bit livelier whether Dwer was singing or not.  He sighed and paced a bit, working out a kink.  He smiled at Quola and answered in kind.

"An old acquaintance of mine is passing through, and he let me know that that a dead man is asking after me.  Well, MIA at the very least.  We were ambushed on a mission, I thought I was the only one to make it out alive.  That mission was Marshal 4."

He moved over towards Dwer and looked to see who else might be listening in.  "I am positive that Marshal doing exactly that, but you'd have to ask Demon for more information, he might know as much or more than I."

"And I hear that things have gotten pretty bad in the other systems nearby.  The last thing we need is to learn that an old automatic manufactory has been found.  In a system like Obsidian or Jet they could build a small army before anyone noticed."

He took a seat.

"And that's the other part of what's on my mind.  This recent mission went well, but I'm not going to be able to do much in a mech fight."

Coolhand

Coolhand

Coolhand and Breaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSydney Aus
Quola gave Nick a nod "If you want i can do some digging, just send me a name if you feel like it."

Selecting a generic rock track everyone knew the words to (and the cheesy dance) she flashed Olga a big grin. She didn't care that Olga wasn't a great singer, as long as they were having fun.

Dwer narrowed his eyes "I think i see where this is going"

He sat back again, cradling his drink.

"If you wanna be a flyboy, well you've picked good company.It would be a lot of work though, you'd be spending days on end in simulators to get you certified. Depending on if you have prior experience of course."

He took a sip of his drink, thinking for a moment.

"It'd be fastest to cert you in one of the Queadluun Rea. Only need to learn one discipline that way, Variable Fighters tend to be more complicated due to the whole Variable thing ." he grimaced a little "You'd have to be ok with being maclonised though, I still haven't adjusted really."

"Stop me if I'm jumping the gun here by the way."

CrazyDreamer

CrazyDreamer

• Game Masters
  • 1344 posts

Olga made an attempt at the song but gave up after losing track of it somewhere between verses. She found a place to sit and joined the conversation. "Hy can onderstund hevink to know vat heppened to you sqvadmate. De boys und Hy are only heppy vorkink for CCS because Hy sent de schmatter vuns uff to find out vat heppened to our parents in de Protodeviln Var."

She nodded when Dwer added his piece. "Hy vent from schipboard Marine to Rhea to combat controller on de ground in a VA-3 vith gunpod to finally flyink in combat doink close air support und fire support. It's a nize learnink curff, alddough it's probably easier to learn bombink from range before CAS."

Coolhand

Coolhand

Coolhand and Breaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSydney Aus

Dwer nodded back to Olga "Ground-pounders usually make good Battroid pilots in my experience. Like as 'much you have some skills that will transfer to being a pilot."

Quola finished the song and gave a little bit of a pout. Hanging up the mic she switched off the amp and pulled up a chair.

Rivel

Rivel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Nick smiled at Quola, and nodded.  He scribbled on a napkin two names:

Rembrandt de los Santos

Remy de los Muertos (nom de guerre?)

"I would appreciate it," he said.

"I spent years looking for people, and then spent a few years hoping the answers would find me.  Maybe they have, now," he said to Olga and Quola.

"And, if not, gotta keep moving forward.  And hopefully that way forward is nowhere near a variable fighter!  Tried that once, I think I burned my certification.  Maybe pilots can use a machine like an extension of their body, but I, you know, just use my body," he said.

He thought a little about Dwer's other suggestion.

"I heard about your... headaches?  Or was it vertigo, afterwards?" he replied.  "I mean, I could try a Q-Rau.  Could certainly be interesting, at least."

He scratched his head as he continued to talk, mind lurching from topic to topic.

"I think I could schedule some time in the tank, but I think I need another drink."

Coolhand

Coolhand

Coolhand and Breaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSydney Aus

"It's more like being so tired you can't stand. Being giant isn't so bad once you learn how to balance and walk straight, it's being shrunk back down that screws you."

"Zentraedi apparently don't have any side affects, just us humans. Something to do with how it re-arranges your organs."

Dwer shuffled a bit in his chair.

"Q-Rheas are more like suits of armour than aircraft, not to mention a lot safer than the old Rau model."

"Anyway, think it over. Can't hurt to at least try it out."

gradius

gradius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Tiff peeked into the lounge, everyone was busy in discussion,  Awww nuts...

Both good and not-so-good at the same time.  The good being that she could surprise everyone with her costume.  The not-so-good was that she didn't know who would be playing the instruments.

Oh well... Deciding to act anyway, she comfortably strode in, mimed holding a microphone and started singing Minmay's Sunset Beach.

Tiff had noticed the music equipment being delivered earlier and had a sudden brainstorm.  Rushing back to her room, she rooted through her wardrobe and makeup kit for the sudden inspiration the delivery had inspired.

It was done quick, it was done with makeshift threads but she was done in fifteen minutes.

And so she drew the attention of everyone in the lounge who hadn't already notice her with her song and Minmay impersonator outfit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Episode 03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users