Welcome to Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nick's in a bar when . . .

Episode 03

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

CrazyDreamer

CrazyDreamer

CCS Associate GM for Non-Combat

• Game Masters
  • 1344 posts
  • LocationChicagoland, IL, USA

Every spaceport had one. And seemingly in every such one you'd find Short-Haul Jack. He worked as a longshoreman and temp crewman of every description for short-haul and tramp freighters that found themselves in need of an extra pair of hands for a little while, although he spent enough time in bars and taverns rather than working that the prevailing assumption was that he had a fortune or income separate from his employment. Where it had come from, though, no two stories could agree on. . . .

In any case, Jack was a familiar face to anyone who had spent any significant length of time in his end of the cargo business, and he never forgot a face himself. His familiarity with everywhere and everyone meant that he usually had tidbits of news or messages of interest to various members of that itinerant community. When he spotted Nick entering a bar near the shipyard where the Bonney was being repaired, he hailed the white-haired wanderer from his booth and waved him over.

"Nick, you ghost-haired fellow! How are you?"

Rivel

Rivel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

A drink.  A dead soldier for dead soldiers.  That sounded like a good idea.  After Nick had helped pull wounded from the zero-g areas and washed up, the bar had been one of his next stops.

He pulled up short when he was greeted by a familiar face.

"The galaxy must be a strange place indeed if the fold waves have the likes of you washing ashore in this place," he said, walking over and offering a handshake and a friendly shoulder tap.  "There are many friendlier ports of call than this one, what brings you out this way?  Can't just be the overtime."

CrazyDreamer

CrazyDreamer

• Game Masters
  • 1344 posts

Jack shrugged. "A lot of ships found themselves with a crew member or two who wasn't willing to stay on through the Blackstone Cluster while there's pirates about. It's been good work for the fill-ins. Probably moving on now that the news from Obsidian is better; been here too long already, and even I'm not bored enough to risk the Basalt asteroid belt."

He hummed something to himself while he signaled for another round, a sure sign that he was trying to remember something. "Funny you should think I'm the odd one to run into. I run across a guy looking for you, I tell him I have no idea where you are, but just a month later I run across you in the middle of nowhere. Some coincidence, huh?"

Rivel

Rivel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

“Looking for me?” Nick asked, slightly confused.  “I’m not sure how to feel about that, but I know some people who know people, so, hey, maybe it’s even good news?  I’d like to know who they were, if you remember.”

“Go back a sec, though, Basalt?  I must be too tied up in what I’ve been busy with lately, how did that old NUSA staging ground get so troubled?  What’s going on?

CrazyDreamer

CrazyDreamer

• Game Masters
  • 1344 posts

"He said his name was Remy de los Muertos."

Rivel

Rivel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Jack must have seen the look on Nick’s face as his expression suddenly went stricken and his eyes widened.

“You called me ghost-haired--” he breathed, “apropos, but that is the name of a dead man.  Goddamn.”

“Look, drinks are on me, but I have to know more,” he said, then offered a little to prime the pump.  “We fought together, briefly, during another conflict.  It didn’t go well, not well at all.  I didn’t know him too well, but I thought he was buried seven years ago.”

“How did he look?  Did he say why he was looking for me?”

CrazyDreamer

CrazyDreamer

• Game Masters
  • 1344 posts

"Seven years ago?" Jack considered this for a second. "He must have been pretty young then, huh? Looked fine, far as I could tell. Didn't seem too upset that I didn't know where you were, just happy to bump into someone who knew his old buddy." He shrugged. "He didn't stick around to chat; someone told him it was time to go and they left. I didn't think much of it."

Rivel

Rivel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

"Huh.  I wonder if he's gotten back in the business, like I have," he replied, and thought about what that meant.

"Thanks, Jack.  I appreciate you telling me."

OOC: Nick will spend some time catching up with Jack, asking about family/friends/recent hauls, but I believe that covers the this-game-relevant material.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Episode 03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users